- Bayard, Pierre. How to Talk about Books You Haven’t Read. Bloomsbury, 2007.
- Bell, Stephen. Kindle Is A Failed Concept Says Jobs. ACRLog. January 16, 2008.
- Crain, Caleb. Twilight of the Books. The New Yorker. (December 24, 2007).
- Le Guin, Ursula K. Staying Awake: Notes on the alleged decline of reading. Harper’s Magazine. (February 2008).
- National Endowment for the Arts. To Read or Not To Read: A Question of National Consequence. 2007.
- Ross, Catherine Sheldrick, et al. Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community. Libraries Unlimited, 2005.
Friday, February 01, 2008
Reading: Diminishing? Or was it never here anyway? [edited]
I have become really interested lately in the national discussion about reading. The National Endowment for the Arts believes the quantity Americans are reading is diminishing at an alarming rate, with devastating consequences for our democracy and culture. If you want to read more about this debate, here are some relevant citations. I am interesting in finding more, so please share then, if you have any.
Posted by Alec at 9:40 AM